POC, which has built a reputation on safety, innovation and design, announces several new major products for its 2018/19 snow collection, in particular two new helmets; the Super Skull SPIN and the Obex SPIN, take center stage with both helmets featuring new technology and POC’s unique SPIN pads, developed to counter the effects of oblique impacts.
Other new products and innovations for the 18/19 season, which will be presented at SIA and ISPO, include several new goggles to feature POC’s unique Clarity lens technology, a brand-new series of ski jackets and a new Race stuff glove which is the first to incorporate Primaloft Crosscore technology with Aerogel, the lightest solid material known to man, initially developed by NASA and adapted by Primaloft to create enhanced levels of insulation. Plus a new POC Layer junior ski protection system base layer, new innovative VPD back protection for adults and junior skiers and new carbon arm and leg protection for ski racers.
POC CEO, Jonas Sjögren
, said “Innovation is the cornerstone of our development process and how we seek to deliver on our mission. We have developed a wealth of knowledge around technology, materials and design, and I am very proud that we are presenting several new and exciting innovations for the 18/19 winter season. The Super Skull SPIN is a perfect example, where we have created an incredibly safe and light weight cutting edge race helmet by using a host of advanced materials and technologies.
We are particularly proud to present the brand new Obex SPIN which is a helmet we designed specifically for skiers and snowboarders looking for the perfect balance in material quality, protection, weight, comfort, communication, goggle compatibility and all-day use, whether on or off piste. Creating a completely new helmet has given us the opportunity to take all our ideas and years of experience to create a helmet with the ideal balance of protection and performance for when the mountains are calling”.
Both new helmets will feature POC’s own patent pending oblique impact protection system, SPIN, which has been developed through working closely with medical experts in POC Lab. Evidence suggests that an oblique impact is a common aspect of a fall and can cause head injury due to a rotation of the head. To counter these oblique impacts, POC created SPIN pads, which are optimized to provide rotational impact protection based on the precise location inside the helmet and which can shear in any direction. The objective is to minimize the effects of an oblique fall by allowing the helmet to move relative to the head.
POC CEO, Jonas Sjögren, continued
– “The POC mission is at the very center of the development process, and for the 18/19 season we have developed a host of new and enhanced protection systems, including a junior version of the award winning POC Layer cut protection base layer, a brand new, extremely lightweight and adjustable VPD back protector, new carbon arm and leg guards for ski racers and an enhanced range of our Clarity lenses for our goggle collection.
We have long supported many of our athletes and pro ski racers with warm outerwear for those cold moments in-between and during competition, and due to such a positive and overwhelming demand we have decided to include a new line of ski jackets to our collection for 18/19. Warmth is a critical part of protection and by working closely with Primaloft we are incredibly proud to be able to present the first ever glove to feature Aerogel Crosscore technology. Developed from NASA technology, which is regarded as the lightest solid material known to man and known for its superior insulation properties, it is the first glove to use the technology and will be an integral part of our junior Race mitten and glove.”
POC Snow 18/19 - product details and highlights
Super Skull SPIN
- A competitive edge from the cutting edge. The Super Skull SPIN is a super lightweight helmet designed specifically for elite-level racers, meeting the demands and rigors of those at the cutting edge of their sport. Certified for race use by the FIS, the Super Skull SPIN provides performance at a weight previously unimaginable thanks to a carbon fiber shell and delivers protection for those who demand nothing but the best. The helmet features POC’s patent-pending SPIN pads in the helmet interior which provides enhanced rotational impact protection. A multi-impact EPP liner coupled with VPD System layer, included in the front deflector panel and at the rear, are able to manage repetitive impacts and deflect energy from gates or low-impact falls. When combined, these features deliver a new level of repetitive, oblique, linear, low and high-speed impact and safety in an extremely advanced lightweight package.
- The Obex SPIN has been developed specifically for skiers and snowboarders looking for the perfect balance in material quality, protection, weight, comfort, communication, goggle compatibility and all-day use, whether on or off piste. Constructed with an EPS liner, PC Shell and ABS top shell, the Obex is a lightweight helmet ideal for all-day use. SPIN pads line the interior of the helmet which provides enhanced oblique impact protection and allows the helmet to move relative to the head in the case of a fall. Optional communication ear pads provide enhanced safety and communication on and off-piste, whilst adjustable vents allow the user to regulate ventilation based on their own comfort and weather conditions. Integrated vents at the front of the helmet allow air to keep goggles free of mist and the interior size-adjustment system allows a user to find an ideal fit.
Clarity (Goggle lenses)
- We work closely with professional ski racers and understand that their vision is the gateway to performance and decision making. Clarity has been developed with industry leaders, Carl Zeiss, to provide unique, highly tuned and specific base tints, which provide enhanced contrast and light. Better vision will support performance with more precise turns and faster reactions, but Clarity can also improve an athlete’s safety and ability to react to dangers. Clarity comes in two categories, Clarity and Clarity comp, which have base tints tuned to all day precision on the mountain and intense short-term competition needs. Clarity which is currently available in Orb and Fovea models will be available in the Lobes, Cornea, Retina, Retina Big, Lid (Clarity) and Retina, Retina Big (Clarity Comp)
The Super Palm Comp glove/mitten (Junior)
- ideal for junior ski racers who need excellent protection, a precise fit and insulation. The gloves are made with high quality goatskin for excellent durability, feel and control, and feature shock absorbing VPD 2.0 on the thumbs and back of the hand, with additional padding on the fingers and knuckles. The gloves are innovative and unique as they are the first to incorporate Primaloft Crosscore technology with Aerogel, the lightest solid material known to man, initially developed by NASA and adapted by Primaloft to create enhanced levels of insulation and contributes to a glove profile which improves touch and feel, ensuring grip and control remain optimal for race conditions.
POC Layer (junior)
– an award-winning base layer system to protect ski racers from the cuts, abrasions and injuries typically associated with ski racing. POC layer is a base layer that maintains a high level of functionality: comfort, breathability, compression, warmth and wicking, but also integrates Dyneema® fabric which adds a significant level of cut resistance.
The VPD System Back
- an extremely well ventilated and lightweight back protector with easily adjustable shoulder and waist strap anchor points to find the perfect fit. VPD is malleable and with body heat adapts to the shape of the wearer’s body, but stiffens on impact and has extreme impact absorption properties. Its minimalist shape provides protection where it is needed without the addition of unnecessary bulk and is suitable for all types of skiers. Certified to EN1621-2 Level 1.
VPD Air vest junior
- Lightweight and well ventilated 3-layer back protector. Conforming to Level 1 (1621-2) standards the protector utilizes a flexible mesh which is both light and highly breathable. Due to the materials used the protector has a low profile and the optional waistband provides further fit personalization. Optimized fit for junior skiers.
Shins and Forearm Comp Junior
- ergonomic and padded shin and forearm guards. Constructed from carbon fiber- reinforced TPE, and containing 10% PTFE, the durable, stiff and lightweight protectors are designed to protect and minimize friction when hitting a gate. The protectors are lined with EVA padding for comfort and feature robust Velcro strapping to stay securely in place. Cutting marks are included on the shield so that the length can be adjusted for a personal fit.
- The POC Snow Coat is made of an advanced multi-layer DWR treated Nylon fabric with a 10 000mm water column for comfort, warmth and protection in colder conditions. Practical features include reinforced shoulders for enhanced durability when carrying skis and a radio pocket on the chest. The hood, which features a reflective POC logo for enhanced visibility, is adjustable and can be used with or without a helmet. The jacket is designed for an ergonomic fit, with pre-bent sleeves and zipped side-slits for enhanced freedom of movement. Spacious pockets for goggles and gloves to be stored securely.
POC Loft Parka
- The POC Snow Parka is made of an advanced multi-layer DWR treated Nylon with a 10 000mm water column. The innovative synthetic insulation uses loose fibers for down-like feel and warmth. It also has a high loft and remains warm even in wet conditions. Pre-bent sleeves offer improved freedom of movement, while large mesh pockets have room for goggles, gloves and more. The adjustable hood is large enough to be used with a helmet and reinforced shoulders have been developed with extra durability when carrying skis. Zipped gussets with laser-cut ventilation on the collar allow the wearer more space and better temperature control around the neck.
POC Liner Jacket
- a versatile jacket that can be used on its own or as an extra layer under a coat, to provide extra warmth. The lightweight jacket is constructed from polyamide which offers great protection from the elements and is lightly padded. The innovative synthetic insulation uses loose fibers for down-like feel and warmth. It also has a high loft and remains warm even in wet conditions. Pre-bent sleeves for freedom of movement and an adjustable hood gives flexibility in varying weather conditions.
Notes to editors
POC, a leading manufacturer of helmets, eyewear, body armor and apparel, has been awarded more than 60 international safety, design, and innovation awards. Founded in 2005 in Sweden, POC’s mission is ‘to do the best we can to possibly save lives and to reduce the consequences of accidents for gravity sports athletes and cyclists’.
POC will be showing all the new items at SIA and ISPO. Details are –
SIA snow show –
January 25 - 28, 2018. Booth 37137
February 28 - 31 2018 - Hall B6, booth 324